The Sonos Arc and Bose 700 are two of the best-selling soundbars in the market. It’s not surprising since both came from reputable brands and have sound quality that’s second to none.
But if you’re torn about which one to buy, this Sonos Arc vs Bose 700 review might be the determining factor you’re looking for.
Below, we discuss the features of these two soundbars, their pros and cons, and a comparison of their performance. Read on to see which one suits your theater system.
✔ Wireless connectivity
✔ Deep and loud bass
✔ Supports Chromecast
✔ 3D Dolby Atmos
✔ Eleven digital amplifiers
✔ Wireless connectivity
✔ Trueplay tuning technology
Table of Contents
- 1 Features of the Bose Smart Soundbar 700
- 2 Disadvantages of the Bose Smart Soundbar 700
- 3 Features of the Sonos Arc Soundbar
- 4 Disadvantages of the Sonos Arc Soundbar
- 5 Sonos Arc vs Bose 700: Which is Better?
- 6 Sonos Arc vs Bose 700: The Verdict
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Final words
Features of the Bose Smart Soundbar 700
The Bose Smart Soundbar 700 boasts its surround sound design that promises to deliver a listening experience like no other. In terms of sound quality, this soundbar looks as good as it sounds.
True to Bose’s reputation for quality, this soundbar is a bestseller for good reasons. Here are some of its amazing features that users can’t get enough of:
- BoseVoice4Video. The Bose 700 has the BoseVoice4Video feature complete with a built-in Google Assistant and Alexa. This way, you can control your TV and satellite box all through the voice technology that’s built inside this soundbar. You can also answer calls using the Alexa-only feature.
- Wireless connectivity. This soundbar works with your home Wi-Fi, Apple AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and Bluetooth. So whether you’re streaming movies or listening to music, you’ll enjoy the wireless convenience of this device.
- ADAPTiQ calibration. This audio calibration from Bose adjusts the sound based on the acoustic of your room. This way, you’ll have a better listening experience.
- Bose SimpleSync. This technology allows users to pair with another device included in the Bose Smart Family. It could be your Bose headphones or Bose Bluetooth to enjoy synchronized playback.
- HMDI ARC connectivity. The Bose 700 comes with HDMI ARC connectivity to reduce cable clutter.
- Deep and loud bass. Unlike the Bose 500, the Bose 700 has deeper and louder bass. It delivers a more immersive listening experience, especially when watching movies.
- 8-mic array. This soundbar has an 8-mic array for superior voice pickup. It makes the voice assistant features more reliable.
- Supports Chromecast. Just recently, Bose released an automatic update for the Bose 700 to support Chromecast. It’s a massive fix for a problem that’s been widely frowned upon by users.
Disadvantages of the Bose Smart Soundbar 700
As much as Bose Soundbar 700 is right on the money in terms of features, it has its share of downsides. Below are some of the things to keep in mind before buying this soundbar:
- Difficult to set up. The Bose 700 isn’t a plug-and-play device since you first have to set it up on the Bose app. This is tricky and unappealing, especially for those who aren’t very techie.
- The remote backlighting can be improved. The backlighting of the remote buttons takes a while to detect movement before it kicks in. It’s frustrating, especially if you’re watching a movie in the dark and want to tweak the sound.
- You always have to switch modes on the remote. Take note that you need to switch to a specific mode on the remote for you to control the soundbar. For example, if you want to change TV channels while your remote is in music mode, you first have to activate the TV mode and vice versa. It’s not a big deal, but a slight inconvenience.
Features of the Sonos Arc Soundbar
The Sonos Arc Soundbar is poised to give Bose a run for its money. Like the Bose 700, the Arc spots surround sound technology featuring Dolby Atmos. This alone is a major selling point for this premium soundbar.
Aside from that, the following features make Sonos Arc a worthy competitor of the Bose 700.
- 3D Dolby Atmos. The Sonos Arc is equipped with the Dolby Atmos technology. This is the gold standard for premium sound technology, which is even used by theaters around the world.
- Trueplay tuning technology. This is Sonos’ counterpart of Bose’s ADAPTiQ. It basically adjusts the sound to suit the acoustics of your room. This enhances the surround sound effect for more immersive listening.
- Eleven digital amplifiers. This soundbar has 11 Class-D amplifiers for the best sound output. It also contains three tweeters and mid-woofers to cover the lowest of lows and highest of highs.
- Far-field microphone array. The Sonos Arc has a microphone that uses multi-channel echo cancelation and advanced beamforming. This allows for accurate voice pick-up and voice control commands.
- Night sound feature. You can activate this in the Sonos app, so the soundbar makes intense sounds quieter.
- HMDI ARC connectivity. Like Bose 700, Sonos Arc is also equipped with HDMI ARC connectivity, with the HDMI cable already included. Nevertheless, you can still use the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter if the HDMI ARC isn’t compatible with your TV.
- Wireless connectivity. The Sonos Arc works with AirPlay as long as your device has iOS 11.4 and higher. It’s also compatible with Google Assistant and Alexa.
Disadvantages of the Sonos Arc Soundbar
- No Bluetooth. The lack of Bluetooth is probably the biggest blunder of the Sonos Arc soundbar. It’s a feature that you’ll somewhat expect for a soundbar, much so a unit at this price range. With that, you can only connect wirelessly through your home Wi-Fi and the Sonos app.
- The mounting bracket is expensive. If you plan to mount this soundbar in your home, you have to shell out for a needlessly expensive bracket.
- Trueplay tuning only works for iOS. The bad news for loyal Android users is that the tuning technology of the soundbar is only made for iOS devices.
Sonos Arc vs Bose 700: Which is Better?
Now that you got a sneak peek of the two soundbars, you’re probably wondering which one deserves your money. In that case, here’s a quick comparison of the features mentioned above together with our verdict:
Each user has their own reservations when judging the sound quality of a soundbar or any sound device.
At first glance, Sonos Arc has a big advantage since it’s hard to beat a device that packs Dolby Atmos. Also, Sonos offer a more surround sound effect than Bose 700. However, we do believe that Bose 700 excels in the stereo dynamics department.
Moreover, Bose 700 is a perfect pick for music streaming and listening. However, if you’re watching movies, Sonos Arc would be a better option since it has a better bass response.
Recommended: 6 Best Soundbars Under $200
Overall, Bose 700 still has a great sound quality, but Sonos Arc definitely gets a ton of brownie points for its Dolby Atmos technology.
Winner: Sonos Arc soundbar
Design and build quality
Both the Sonos Arc and Bose 700 are made of plastic, which is considerably durable. The two soundbars have a sleek and premium look, so aesthetics are out of the question.
Moreover, the Sonos Arc is slightly bigger since it’s 45” wide, 4.5” deep, and 3.4” tall. Meanwhile, the Bose 700 is slightly smaller at 38.4” wide, 4.25” deep, and 2.25” tall. The disparity in the size isn’t really a big deal, but the bigger form factor of Sonos Arc gives it an added edge in terms of sound quality.
I also want to mention that the Bose 700 has a glass layer on top. It aims to add a sleek look, but take note that it can easily gather dust and fingerprints.
Winner: It’s a tie!
Connectivity and inputs
The Sonos Arc and Bose 700 have multiple connectivity options. Both of these soundbars have an HDMI connection as well as optical audio input.
Moreover, the two soundbars are Alexa and Google Assistant compatible. This allows for voice-control commands, including answering phone calls.
However, there’s one thing that makes potential buyers frown upon Sonos Arc: it doesn’t have Bluetooth connectivity. A shocker, right? The reason behind this is that the soundbar is intended to work with your Wi-Fi connection, mainly for streaming and voice commands.
However, many users would often prefer a Bluetooth connection since it adds convenience, especially for households with multiple devices.
Winner: Bose 700 soundbar
The Bose 700 only has two buttons at the top. This includes the ‘Microphone Off’ button, which disables the voice assistant feature. There’s also the ‘Action’ button that manually enables the voice assistant or silence timers and alarms.
On the other hand, the Sonos Arc is equipped with touch-sensitive controls. This will let you change the volume, mute the mic, or pause/play the media you’re playing.
Overall, both of these soundbars come with a remote, so control shouldn’t be an issue. Also, Sonos and Bose have mobile apps where the soundbars’ configuration can be further tweaked.
However, many users complain about the backlighting of the Bose 700’s remote controller. It doesn’t stay on for long and the motion-activated system takes a few seconds to kick in.
Winner: Sonos Arc soundbar
Sound enhancement features
Sound enhancement features are a big deal when it comes to soundbars. This allows individual users to use the setting that they like based on the room size and the furniture surrounding the area.
To be fair, both Bose 700 and Sonos Arc have in-app sound enhancement features. Bose has their ADAPTiQ technology while Sonos has the Trueplay tuning technology.
However, Sonos’ Trueplay tuning is only available on iOS devices. That alone is upsetting for Android users. Nevertheless, Sonos compensates in terms of the bass range, so this is somewhat a small niggle that most users can live with.
Winner: Bose 700 soundbar
As for the price range, the Bose 700 is on the cheaper side compared to Sonos Arc. The Bose 700 is roughly priced at $799 while Sonos Arc is at $1,123.
Nevertheless, there’s a very good reason for Sonos’ higher price range. This soundbar has the Dolby Atmos technology, which makes it reasonably pricier than Bose. While it lacks a Bluetooth connection, we still think that this price range is justified.
On the other hand, Bose 700 managed to keep its price lower than Sonos since they used their own sound technology. And with Bose having a good reputation when it comes to sound devices, their soundbars are a total steal.
Recommended: 7 Best Soundbars Under $100
Overall, if you’re looking for a mid-range soundbar, Bose 700 is the best bet. But if you’re willing to splurge a little more, you’ll never go wrong with the Sonos Arc.
Winner: Bose 700 soundbar (in terms of pricing alone)
Sonos Arc vs Bose 700: The Verdict
Both the Sonos Arc and Bose 700 have a lot of features to boast. These soundbars are two of the best-sellers in the market for very good reasons.
The right choice depends on a few factors. If you want a mid-priced soundbar with a good brand and quality, Bose 700 will not disappoint. However, if you want something more premium and packs a lot of bass, my money is on Sonos Arc.
In the end, it’s about what you prefer, how much you’re willing to spend, and the features you’re looking for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Sonos sound better than Bose?
Sonos soundbars tend to have fuller mids compared to Bose. This makes Sonos a great option for music with hard-hitting bass. Meanwhile, Bose is an excellent choice for movies and TV shows. But overall, both brands sound good and suit different listening tastes.
Do I need a subwoofer for Sonos Arc?
The Sonos Arc soundbar is powerful enough to fill most rooms with sound. With that, a subwoofer isn’t necessary and is purely optional. But if you want to enhance the bass response of your speaker system, a subwoofer will complement this soundbar a lot.
Is the Bose 700 soundbar worth it?
While Bose 700 isn’t powered by Dolby Atmos, it’s still worth the splurge. It has excellent sound quality, sleek build, and impressive connectivity. The Bose 700 is also compatible with major voice command platforms like Alexa and Google Assistant.
Both Sonos Arc and Bose 700 offer something for audiophiles. These soundbars are engineered by two of the leading audio brands in the market, which is one good reason to consider them for your home theater.
Above, we hope that we helped you choose the right model, whether you’re streaming movies, listening to music, and so on.
What do you think of this Sonos Arc vs Bose 700 comparison? Share your thoughts in the comment section!