Are you trying to get your audience’s attention when they view your content? Then you should try this earrape trick.
But you’re probably asking, “What is earrape? Earrape is an audio technique that uses static songs, annoying clips, and static sounds to surprise your listeners and get their attention.
Some producers use earrape to make their creations as unbearable and loud as possible. They use this technique to create ear pain for their listeners. Some people use it as an attention tool and an easy way to get your listeners’ attention if you feel they’re not paying attention.
Earrape is a common technique used in platforms like Tiktok and YouTube. Some people use it in Discord to pull pranks on their friends.
Regardless of your intention, this guide will help you use an earrape maker so you too can make this effect on your content.
Table of Contents
Is Earrape Illegal?
It depends on what’s being done and the intention behind it.
For instance, most earrape memes use a limiter to distort the sound without directly increasing the volume. This action is not intended to harm your ears or speakers, so this is fine.
But there are some earrape that can cause pain and surprise someone. This can still count as a battery charge even if you did not intend to cause pain.
It can even count as the destruction of property and reckless endangerment. Since the memes are aimed at minors, child protection laws will make earrape a severe crime.
Usually, any time you cause harm (even accidental harm), you’re breaking the law. Patting someone on the back to congratulate them or bumping into someone is classified as a Class C misdemeanor. The reason why these scenarios are actionable is that a person would call this a criminal offense.
If a meme starts with a low volume in your speakers and then blows out your eardrums, some people may consider it dangerous to their property and health.
If the earrape has the same volume but is distorted, then a person won’t view it as a criminal offense. Even then, it’s not easy to prosecute, so you’ll rarely see a meme video in a court of earrape.
How to Earrape Mic?
Today, most singing, podcasts, video, and streaming mics have the earrape capability, thus making the effect more straightforward. Once they’re plugged in, you’re good to go.
Don’t worry if you use a headset and don’t have a mic. There are ways on how to earrape your microphone by tweaking the PC settings.
- Find the Control Panel
- Click sound
- Press recording
- Right-click your microphone and press “Properties.”
- Press, listen
- Press “Listen to this device”
- Now you’re able to earrape with your mic when you speak
- For better settings right click the microphone
- Go to properties and select “Advanced.”
- Select the sound effect you like “telephone quality.”
- Reset your PC to your normal voice once you’re done using the earrape effect.
Earrape Makers and Software Effects
Another trick to cause earrape is through using the readily available effects and VSTs on your recording software. This technique is the same no matter what DAW you use. It works on Ableton Live, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Logic Pro X, and Audacity.
Here’s how it works.
Start by recording the earrape until you have the perfect scream or take. Next, add sound effects to your vocals and configure them until you reach your desired sound.
Also, you can play with the frequencies and the EQ curve to earrape. Increase the treble frequency and boost the bass until your ears tingle.
Add reverb and delay if you want the recording to sound wet. Reverb and delay give your recording a wide, big, and spacy effect. Include some noise to create the best earrape impact of sound possible.
Use an Earrape Maker
Earrape makers are applications designed to create the earrape effect. For instance, you can try using the Audio Dankifier app.
This app is a catch because it helps you configure the earrape settings. And it comes with a deep-fried effect and bass boost, which further increases the intensity of the effect.
Here’s how you can use Dankifier to increase earrape:
- Start by recording your voice or uploading audio of a previous vocal take.
- Choose your desired effect.
- Choose the volume and level of darkness you want.
- Hit the “Dankify” button.
- Enjoy the earrape, loud, ear-raging audio.
How to Use Discord for Earrape?
Do you use Discord for live streams but don’t know how to make the earrape effect? Fortunately, Discord allows and supports the earrape culture.
1. First, you’ll need a plugin that allows for different earrape effects. For instance, you should get Glitch 2 if you’re trying to make a glitched loud voice.
2. Also, download the VST Host and ensure that it fits your OS system. A VST host is a software program, plugin, and DAW dedicated to loading and running other VSTS. For instance, if you have a 64-bit laptop, download and install the 64-bit version.
3. Next, get VB audio cables. This software is used to transfer audio streams across applications. This helps when you’re setting up your playback and audio recording.
4. Once installed, turn it on but don’t place it on default; it won’t negatively affect your communication when using other apps.
5. Go to voicemod.net if you want to hear yourself using the voice changer. But this step isn’t necessary if you don’t intend on using the voice changer.
6. After downloading and installing the three prerequisite software above:
- Go to your Control Panel
- Press Sound
- Go to your audio recording
- You’ll notice “CABLE OUTPUT” on the list
- Right-click it
- Press “Enable” to start it
- Open the VST Host application
- Select “devices,” then click “wave.”
- A “Select your wave devices” window shows up. Set both your inputs and output to VST Host.
- Input Port MME: Microphone/ Output Port MME: Cable input
- Insert Plugin: Glitch 2
- Press the green dial with a redline after the Glitch plugin finishes loading. This allows you to start producing earrape effects.
- Open the voice mod once your microphone works.
- Set the input to the VB audio cables and the output to your headset so you can hear your audio.
7. After creating this setup:
- Open Discord
- Click “Settings”
- Press “voice and video.”
- Set the input as your voice
- Set the output as your headphones
Now that you’ve set up the earrape maker, you can play around with glitch voice, game, earrape your friends, and have funny phone calls. The best part about this effect is that you can increase the gain as loud as you want.
Also, it comes with effects like tape stop, retrigger, stretcher, delay, and modulator. You can play with these settings to get a unique, loud voice.
How to Earrape in Audacity
Here’s how you can create earrape through audacity:
Upload the audio file into Audacity. Alternatively, you can press CTRL + R and record directly onto the software. Try to record with loud vocals to ensure to maximize the effect fully.
Apply bass boost before you start adding other effects. If not, it will cancel the changes you’ve made.
Click the amplify effect. Warning! When adjusting, make sure you press “allow clipping,” or you’ll be unable to apply changes.
Use the gain to increase the volume. Place it to the max to get the best earrape effect.
Press export audio file to get your finished earrape recording.
Want to make the most out of your earrape sound? Here are some tips that will help!
- Invest in a high-quality mic – The better the mic, the better the effect. Fifine is one of the best brands for producing microphones. Check this buying guide and find the best Fifine USB microphone. With a good microphone, you can increase the gain to sound louder and create that ear-splitting sound you’re trying to achieve.
- Record with a loud voice: When making the earrape effect, you want to sound as loud as possible.
- Mic placement: Since you’ll be speaking loudly, stay at least 6-12 inches away from the mic. Doing so will prevent the mic from becoming damaged by your local vocals.
- Know your audience: Remember, the earrape sound effect might not go well with older viewers. Their ears are more sensitive, and they might not receive your meme well. Find the right niche audience that will appreciate this effect and watch your engagement go up.
Configure the Earrape Effect: While you want to have a loud sound for this to work, you don’t want to cause actual ear damage. That’s why you need to configure and experiment with the sound so that it strikes a balance between safe and loud.
Using an earrape maker will add a unique twist to your content. When in use, be sure to consider your audience’s ears. The sound should be loud, but not too loud to where people can become deaf.
After successfully setting up your audio, you’ll create a sound that can add humor to your content. While it should be used sparingly, the earrape is a useful tool to have in your sound arsenal.