Are you trying to get your audience’s attention when they view your content? Then you should know how to make your mic earrape.
But you’re probably asking, “What is earrape? Earrape is an audio technique that uses static songs, annoying clips, and static sounds to surprise your listeners and get their attention.
Some producers use earrape to make their creations as unbearable and loud as possible. They use this technique to create ear pain for their listeners. Some people use it as an attention tool and an easy way to get your listeners’ attention if you feel they’re not paying attention.
Earrape is a common technique used in platforms like Tiktok and YouTube. Some people use it in Discord to pull pranks on their friends.
Regardless of your intention, this guide will help you use an earrape maker so you too can make this effect on your content.
Is Earrape Illegal?
It depends on what’s being done and the intention behind it.
Many popular earrape memes utilize limiters, tools that modify sound dynamics, to distort an audio clip. They don’t necessarily amplify volume, and their primary goal isn’t to damage your hearing or equipment. Thus, such manipulations are generally seen as harmless antics.
However, some earrape renditions can be jarring, causing discomfort or even pain. If an audio clip surprises or harms a listener, it could potentially be interpreted as battery, even if no physical harm was intended.
Amplify this concern with the fact that many memes target younger audiences, and you introduce child protection laws into the mix. Suddenly, what seemed like a harmless audio trick can be perceived as a grave offense.
Imagine scenarios where someone is searching how to make your mic earrape with genuine intentions to cause distress. This could border on reckless endangerment or even destruction of property if, for instance, speakers get damaged.
On a broader scale, any action leading to unintentional harm can be scrutinized by law. Even seemingly innocuous actions, like an accidental shove, can be classified under legal misdemeanors.
It’s essential to tread carefully. If an earrape meme begins quietly and then suddenly blares at damaging volumes, some might see this as a threat to their well-being and property.
Conversely, if the volume remains consistent but the sound distorts, it’s less likely to be deemed harmful. While prosecuting such cases might be rare, awareness is crucial to avoid potential pitfalls in the audio universe.
How to Make Your Microphone Earrape
Today, most singing, podcasts, video, and streaming mics have the earrape capability, thus making the effect more straightforward. Once they’re plugged in, you’re good to go.
Don’t worry if you use a headset and don’t have a mic. There are ways on how to make your microphone earrape by tweaking the PC settings.
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- Seek out the Sound option and click on it.
- Proceed by selecting Recording.
- Right-click on the microphone you’re using and choose Properties.
- Within the new window, opt for Listen.
- Enable the “Listen to this device” option.
- This adjustment allows you to produce the earrape effect when you speak.
- For more nuanced settings, right-click on the microphone again.
- Head to Properties and then the Advanced tab.
- From here, choose your desired sound effect, such as “telephone quality.”
- Remember, once you’ve had your fun with the earrape effect, it’s wise to revert your PC settings back to normal to avoid any unintentional audio surprises in the future!
So, next time you’re looking to add a touch of audio dramatics to your content, you now know how to make your mic earrape. Happy experimenting!
Earrape Makers and Software Effects
Another trick to cause earrape is through using the readily available effects and VSTs on your recording software. This technique is the same no matter what DAW you use. It works on Ableton Live, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Logic Pro X, and Audacity.
Here’s how it works.
Start by recording the earrape until you have the perfect scream or take. Next, add sound effects to your vocals and configure them until you reach your desired sound.
Also, you can play with the frequencies and the EQ curve to earrape. Increase the treble frequency and boost the bass until your ears tingle.
Add reverb and delay if you want the recording to sound wet. Reverb and delay give your recording a wide, big, and spacy effect. Include some noise to create the best earrape impact of sound possible.
Recommended: How to Play Music Through Mic – Step by Step Guide.
Use an Earrape Maker
Earrape makers are applications designed to create the earrape effect. For instance, you can try using the Audio Dankifier app.
This app is a catch because it helps you configure the earrape settings. And it comes with a deep-fried effect and bass boost, which further increases the intensity of the effect.
Here’s how you can use Dankifier to increase earrape:
- Start by recording your voice or uploading audio of a previous vocal take.
- Choose your desired effect.
- Choose the volume and level of darkness you want.
- Hit the “Dankify” button.
- Enjoy the earrape, loud, ear-raging audio.
How to Earrape on Discord
Do you use Discord for live streams but don’t know how to make the earrape effect? Fortunately, Discord allows and supports the earrape culture.
Step 1: First, you’ll need a plugin that allows for different earrape effects. For instance, you should get Glitch 2 if you’re trying to make a glitched loud voice.
Step 2: Also, download the VST Host and ensure that it fits your OS system. A VST host is a software program, plugin, and DAW dedicated to loading and running other VSTS. For instance, if you have a 64-bit laptop, download and install the 64-bit version.
Step 3: Next, get VB audio cables. This software is used to transfer audio streams across applications. This helps when you’re setting up your playback and audio recording.
Step 4: Once installed, turn it on but don’t place it on default; it won’t negatively affect your communication when using other apps.
Step 5: Go to voicemod.net if you want to hear yourself using the voice changer. But this step isn’t necessary if you don’t intend on using the voice changer.
Step 6: After downloading and installing the three prerequisite software above:
- Go to your Control Panel
- Press Sound
- Go to your audio recording
- You’ll notice “CABLE OUTPUT” on the list
- Right-click it
- Press “Enable” to start it
- Open the VST Host application
- Select “devices,” then click “wave.”
- A “Select your wave devices” window shows up. Set both your inputs and output to VST Host.
- Input Port MME: Microphone/ Output Port MME: Cable input
- Insert Plugin: Glitch 2
- Press the green dial with a redline after the Glitch plugin finishes loading. This allows you to start producing earrape effects.
- Open the voice mod once your microphone works.
- Set the input to the VB audio cables and the output to your headset so you can hear your audio.
Step 7: After creating this setup:
- Open Discord
- Click “Settings”
- Press “voice and video.”
- Set the input as your voice
- Set the output as your headphones
Now that you’ve set up the earrape maker, you can play around with glitch voice, game, earrape your friends, and have funny phone calls. The best part about this effect is that you can increase the gain as loud as you want.
Also, it comes with effects like tape stop, retrigger, stretcher, delay, and modulator. You can play with these settings to get a unique, loud voice.
How to Earrape in Audacity
Here’s how you can create earrape through audacity:
Upload the audio file into Audacity. Alternatively, you can press CTRL + R and record directly onto the software. Try to record with loud vocals to ensure to maximize the effect fully.
Apply bass boost before you start adding other effects. If not, it will cancel the changes you’ve made.
Click the amplify effect. Warning! When adjusting, make sure you press “allow clipping,” or you’ll be unable to apply changes.
Use the gain to increase the volume. Place it to the max to get the best earrape effect.
Press export audio file to get your finished earrape recording.
Want to make the most out of your earrape sound? Here are some tips that will help!
- Invest in a high-quality mic – The better the mic, the better the effect. Fifine is one of the best brands for producing microphones. Check this buying guide and find the best Fifine USB microphone. With a good microphone, you can increase the gain to sound louder and create that ear-splitting sound you’re trying to achieve.
- Record with a loud voice: When making the earrape effect, you want to sound as loud as possible.
- Mic placement: Since you’ll be speaking loudly, stay at least 6-12 inches away from the mic. Doing so will prevent the mic from becoming damaged by your local vocals.
- Know your audience: Remember, the earrape sound effect might not go well with older viewers. Their ears are more sensitive, and they might not receive your meme well. Find the right niche audience that will appreciate this effect and watch your engagement go up.
Configure the Earrape Effect: While you want to have a loud sound for this to work, you don’t want to cause actual ear damage. That’s why you need to configure and experiment with the sound so that it strikes a balance between safe and loud.
Using an earrape maker will add a unique twist to your content. When in use, be sure to consider your audience’s ears. The sound should be loud, but not too loud to where people can become deaf.
After successfully setting up your audio, you’ll create a sound that can add humor to your content. While it should be used sparingly, the earrape is a useful tool to have in your sound arsenal.